This soup should be dubbed “The One” Black Bean Soup, because not only does it serve one person, but practically everything in it is in the quantity of one so it’s incredibly easy to remember. It also makes it easy to scale the recipe up to serve how ever many people you need to since you’ll always be multiplying by one. That’s arithmetic even I can’t get wrong!
The reason this is a recipe for one is that I tend to make this on nights when I’m not going to be eating with Adam but I still want to give him something home cooked for dinner when he gets home. It would work as a lovely lunch too but for some reason I don’t seem to make it too often in the middle of the day. I love that all of the ingredients are things that I always have in my pantry and fridge so it can be thrown together at the last minute. It’s also pretty great that it cooks fast too. I made this last night for Adam and it took 10 minutes from the time I thought of it until I served it to him.
Black Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 very small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pinch of kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 can black beans (15 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flake, crushed
- Tabasco for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. When hot add the onions and salt and slowly cook the onions down (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the garlic and stir for 45 seconds. Then quickly add the tomato and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Add the beans, the spices, and the broth. Stir to combine.
- Bring the soup up to a boil for 5 minutes.
- If you are serving it immediately remove the pan from heat and serve.
- If you are not serving it immediately put the pan on your lowest burner at the lowest possible setting. It can bubble a bit for up to an hour to stay hot.
* Omit the vegetable broth and serve it as a side dish with rice and grilled chicken.
* Puree the soup once cooked for a smooth texture.
* Add a dollop of sour cream or guacamole to the top for a special presentation.
Cooking time (duration): 10
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 1
Meal type: supper