So, you have the basil pesto recipe from yesterday and now you need something to do with it… of course you could toss it into some pasta or risotto but you want to do something special with it? Make this salad. It’s a meal in itself that makes me feel good about my attempts to be virtuous with food.
In all honesty, this recipe is my attempt to recreate something that they serve at a little Italian restaurant near to my house. We’ve enjoyed it quite a bit over the years and while there’s nothing truly spectacular on the menu, their pizzas and pastas are pretty solid. The salads are all meal sized or need to be served family style they are so big. And this one really packs a flavorful punch.
The recipe is like a laundry list of ingredients. If you find one on there you don’t like, then just substitute it with something else, no worries. It forgiving in that respect and the best part is that the dressing is the real kicker here so as long as you drizzle that on liberally you’re going to enjoy it no matter what veggies you put on the plate under it.
Greens and Pasta Salad
(The ingredients are listed for only one salad, so just multiply the quantities by however many servings you want to have.)
- Lettuce (I used Romaine hearts, spring mix, and baby spinach all mixed together)
- 2 artichoke hearts, cut into 8ths
- 6-8 slivers of roasted red pepper
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes, sliced into 8th (these are the ones that are about the size of a ping-pong ball)
- 1 hard boiled egg, sliced into 8ths
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese, diced into ¼ inch cubes
- 1-2 oz cooked farfalle (aka bowtie pasta)
- 1 tbsp basil pesto
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp red wine vinegar
- Boil up some water and cook the pasta, drain it, and let it cool.
- Slowly layer the ingredients onto a plate in the order that they appear in the ingredient list.
- In a small bowl add together the ingredients for the salad dressing and whisk together to combine. Drizzle over the salad and serve.
Cooking time (duration): 15
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 1
Meal type: dinner