In honor of my friend Susan’s “Greek Week” on her blog I made my recreation one of my favorite meals from the local Greek restaurant that we both love. They serve this in a terra cotta pan and it’s crazy good. When I originally tried I wasn’t sure how difficult it would be to recreate it at home, but it was surprisingly easy and now I make it with some frequency. I serve it with a Greek salad which compliments and balances the flavors nicely.
My favorite part of a meal like this is the fact that it has such a short prep time and it takes a long time to cook in the oven. I can prep it in 10 minutes and then pop it into the oven before I take the kids up to get ready for bed. Once I’m finished putting them to bed it’s ready to come out of the oven, get the orzo added, and by the time Adam gets home dinner is ready. On a really good night I have the kitchen cleaned up before we even sit down to eat. Yeah, I’m that good. But only sometimes.
Lamb with Tomato and Orzo
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb lamb, cubed stew meat or butterflied deboned leg meat cubed
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 4 cups basic tomato sauce, separated into 3 cups and 1 cup
- 1 six inch spring of fresh rosemary, cut in half
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 ounces feta cheese
- 2 pinches of kosher salt
- 6 grinds fresh black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Put the olive oil in a heavy bottomed pot with a lid that can go on the stove top and in the oven safe (like this one) over medium high heat.
- Cube up the meat if you are using deboned leg meat and season with salt and pepper. Add the meat to the hot oil and brown the meat.
- When the meat is browned add in the diced onion and stir. Let it cook down for about 5 minutes.
- Add in 3 cups of basic tomato sauce and stir to combine.
- Top with the spring of rosemary and cover the pot with its lid.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven, remove the rosemary springs, and stir. Add in one additional one cup of tomato sauce and one cup of orzo. Stir, recover, and replace in the oven for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove and top with crumbled feta and stir to combine.
Cooking time (duration): 90
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Greek